Friday, May 30, 2008

Where is it? Ask MAP!

For those who don't know, I travel. A lot. I thought I might slow down a bit with this new job, but it turns out the travel requirements are greater here than the other place.

After every trip, I bring home treats for the girls, in part to assuage my guilt and in part to put a smile on my kids' faces. I know, it's not the best practice in the world, but it seems to work for us.

Anyhoo, on my most recent trip to Charlotte, I bought this rather large, pink pen with a liquid center in which little sparkly bits floated by as you moved it (can't seem to find a good picture to share with you). On my way off the US Air flight (Read closely airline. I'll need your help!), I spilled my bag and I'm sure you can guess the rest - I lost the pen. Lost it. Couldn't find it. Gone.

So of course, when I picked up Petra from the sitter's house, the first question out of her mouth was, "mommy, what did you bring me?" And then I had to tell my 4.5 year-old that mommy lost her precious gift. It. didn't. go. over. so. well.

Flash forward to the next evening when Petra and I had the following conversation:

P: Mommy, here you go (handing me a picture).

Me: Petra, it looks great. Um, what is it?

P: It's a map. To help you find my pink pen.

Me: What do you mean?

P: Well, here (pointing to spot on map) is where you were on the plane when you lost the pen.

Me: Uh huh.

P: And here (pointing to another spot, further away) is where you are now. So, you just need to follow the map and go back and get my pen. See?

Me: Wow. You really thought that through. I'll see what I can do (not really knowing what else to say).

Did you get that? Petra DREW ME A MAP. Of how to get to the pen. The $4.99 pen. That I plan to BUY again when I head to the airport next week. But that's not good enough. She fully expects me to go on a treasure hunt...do you hear me US Air?

And perhaps that's what I'll tell her I did when I show up next week with a large, pink, liquidy pen in hand.

No comments: