Friday, January 29, 2010

Workout. Travel. Workout. Travel. Workout.

That's been my life for two weeks now and with another trip on the horizon, my crazy schedule isn't getting better anytime soon.

But I promised JP I'd blog about the road to Alcatraz; he, in turn, promised me it would be worth looking back on the journey. So, here goes...

______________

Workouts have been fairly consistent; I'm logging anywhere from 7-9 hours per week and desperately trying to stay above 8. If I get it all in, I swim, run, bike and take a bootcamp/strength class twice a week. I've managed to do most of my running outdoors, but have relied on my elliptical more than once when the weather proves too much. I take a Computrainer cycling class Tuesdays (when I'm not traveling) and Saturdays at the Y and although it's tough, it's probably the best possible workout for me right now. The bike is a weakness and I need to build up as much power as possible.

Swimming continues to go well enough, but I'm still having some trouble with the breathing. I can swim much longer, much faster when I breathe each stroke, but I find that I have a better rhythm when I breathe every third. I've heard it takes 3-5 years to become a good swimmer, which means at a min, I still have two years to go. That said, I am in the pool every opportunity I get. And even though I'd like to perform better, I still manage upwards of 2,200 yds. each workout and have hit a high of 2,700. I need to get up to 3k per workout, so I'll be increasing yardage slowly each week.

Travel has certainly made my schedule more challenging, but I've managed to workout while on the road. Most of my travel has been to Denver, however, and the altitude is a kicker. Even in the 'burbs, the air is so thin, I feel like I have a six-pack a day habit once I start running.

I'm still in the Foundation stage of training, which will last six weeks (unless the coach decides I need another week or two) and then it's off to Intensity school. ;-) As if this hasn't been intense enough.

I plan to pop in and see JP next week; I can't believe we haven't trained together in four weeks. I miss our workouts and hope we'll be able to pick back up once this tri is over.

More updates to follow. Suffice it to say, I am well on my way to Alcatraz. 93 days and counting...

No comments: