Monday, October 30, 2006

How's this for icky?

I just pulled a live tick off of Petra's head! Now granted, it hadn't implanted itself YET, but it was running around in her hair. And don't think for one second I stopped once I pulled that thing off: my poor daughter was subjected to a very thorough exam to ensure that no tickies made their way under her skin.

And yes, I know that lyme disease-carrying ticks don't need to implant to spread their nasty gift; they only have to bite. And yes, I'll be checking Petra's body for the red bullseye and looking for signs of general malaise every single day from now until (at least) the end of the year.

Oh and poor Kita...I pulled an implanted tick off her two days ago.

What's up with these horrid little creatures? Do they know that their demise is imminent with the first harsh frost? Are they making one more desperate attempt to find a warm host off of whom they can feed through the winter?

All I know is that ticks are disgusting, disease-carrying mites...and I'm waging a war.

Signed,
The world's biggest hypochondriacal mom

No comments: