I don't normally post comments on others' blogs (except Al's of course), but I felt compelled after reading this post by Dooce. I was very angry for her having experienced some (not all) of the frustrations she shared. And I was angry by how quick to judge and self-righteous so many mothers can be.
And while I might look at something on the surface and come to my own conclusions, I hope I don't judge (well, at least too often) what I don't know or cannot comprehend.
This is the comment I shared with Dooce (along with her 400 other best friends):
My daughter, Petra is 3 1/2 years old and still sleeps with me every night. So many of my friends and family (much less strangers) comment on how she's too old to still be in my bed, how we'll never get her out (which I doubt because seriously, how many 13-year old girls still sleep with their parents) and how we are horrid parents for allowing such indulgent behavior.
I especially appreciate the helpful feedback I receive from acquaintances who know nothing about P's history (i.e., the fact that she was sick--really sick--her first 2 1/2 years of life; that she's been hospitalized more times during the course of her very young two years than most people will be their entire lives; and that her only comfort at night STILL is her mommy's hair.
For those folks, I simply smile, thank them for their feedback, turn my back and wish upon them a pox.
No comments:
Post a Comment