Friday, June 30, 2006

The Ancient City of Petra

"... match me such a marvel, save in Eastern clime
A rose-red city, half as old as time."
--"Petra", Dean Burgen

Methinks we might have to visit my daughter's namesake at some point...

Although in all honesty, we didn't name her after the ancient city in the Middle East. Nor did we name her after my husband as most people suspect we did (I promise!). No, we did what most expecting parents do: we pored over the 10,001 new-and-inventive, you'll-be-the-first-on-the block-to-use-it baby names book until we came across the lovely name of Petra. And voila!

But back to the city. It looks lovely; at least from the pictures I've seen. There is something very romantic about a place known as the Lost City of Stone....as if there are secrets hidden away that are just waiting to be rediscovered. And yes, I've seen Raiders of the Lost Art waaaay too many times.

If, however, you're interested in learning more about this Petra (versus mine), check out the American Natural History Museum's Web site.

No comments: