I haven't written much about the hip, mostly because I've been spending too much time dealing with the impact of breaking it. And because if I don't think about it too much, it's almost like it isn't there.
But, I will interrupt the silence with a slightly funny, slightly off color anecdote:
Last night, I attended the Forrester Technology Marketing Council's holiday dinner and had the privilege of sitting at a table of athletes, most of whom were bikers. But, what's really fascinating here is that we have much more in common than just sport. The woman to my right recently broke her clavicle and pelvis in a fall. The guy next to her had to have his elbow reconstructed. My friend to the left? No more knee cartilage, even after several surgeries to repair damage to his knee from soccer. And the guy to his left, well, he damaged his femur in a fall and had his hip replaced.
The five of us spent little time talking about work and more time discussing the nuances of our injuries, the risk/reward of surgery and whether or not we're still doing (or will do, in my case) the sports we love.
Strangely enough, I really enjoyed the dinner, company and conversation.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
No comments:
Post a Comment