Over the course of a week and a half, I devoured 1,700 pages of Stephenie Meyers' dark fantasy novels - Twilight, New Moon & Eclipse - because they were so incredibly good. Obsessively so. Even to an almost-40 victim of fate.
So it was with much excitement and a little trepidation that I went and bought the fourth and last book. I was desperate to read but anxious to be finished with the series. The books are that good. Er, at least they were.
I started reading Breaking Dawn on Sunday and am halfway through the 700+ page novel. Dare I say it? Stephenie Meyers finally jumped the shark. It's not nearly as good as its predecessors...glaringly so. And it feels strange to say this, but this book is just to fantastical. Yes, books about vampires and werewolves tend to be rooted in fantasy, but this...it feels like Meyers stripped away everything that made the first three books so incredible .
I'm not alone in my thinking and actually it wasn't until I read Jennifer Reese's article in Entertainment Weekly that I realized why I was so disenfranchised: The book loses its humanity when...oh, I won't spoil it for those who haven't read it yet. Suffice it to say, the book veers off into left field almost immediately and hasn't recovered...from what I can tell.
I'll update this post when I finish the book, which should be soon. At least we have the movie to look forward to...
No comments:
Post a Comment