Because apparently I'm allergic to the little bastards. Who knew?
I became allergic to strawberries during my pregnancy with Petra, but never had issues with any other fruit, until now. I was at my Web design firm for a meeting yesterday and we ordered takeout from The Purple Onion, a lovely little restaurant in Newburyport. Since I'm watching my food intake, I ordered what I thought would be a tasty, but still appropriate dish - the mango pineapple salsa rice bowl with shrimp (sans cheese). And it was. Tasty and appropriate. That is until I couldn't clear my throat and lost my voice.
I was fortunate. It didn't get much worse than that and one of the women in the office had both Benadryl and an epipen (took the former; didn't need the latter). But it scared the bejesus out of me. I mean, who in the hell is allergic to mango? And why now?
I called my doctor after I calmed down - because I was a wreck - and scheduled an allergy eval for November 5th (the soonest they could see me). Until then, I'll stay away from the forbidden fruit (get it? Forbidden). And keep Benadryl in my purse.
No comments:
Post a Comment