Friday, February 15, 2008

A letter to my children

Dear Petra and Raya,
I'm so sorry, but you're going to have to live the rest of your lives in a bubble attached to my hip. The world is a cruel, cold place and people can be awful. I'd like to spare you the trauma of watching your friends get mowed down by a lunatic gunman and I'd rather that you didn't turn into the disaster-du-jour known as Britney Spears.

No, I want you to grow up, be responsible and live long and healthy lives. But to do so, I'm afraid you'll need to live in a bubble and live close by (if not with me) forever. And yes, you can have friends come over to visit, if you like. As long as they pass through a metal detector and get by the drug-sniffing dogs.

It's a difficult world now, my children. And although you'll crave your independence, you'll come to realize how much better living with mommy and daddy really is.

And if you stay with us....we'll buy you a car.

Love,
Mommy

No comments: