Saturday, August 05, 2006

A tale of two dead things...

After reading Al's recent blog entry about her dead bird fiasco, I was reminded of a funny (but kinda sad too) story about Biko and his friend, the rabbit.

So last year, Biko and the rabbit spent hours upon hours playing a game called, Mommy-opens-the-sliding-glass-door-and-Biko-runs-out-to-chase-the-wild-bunny-in-the-yard. Fun was had by all; no one got hurt and it was extremely entertaining for those who watched.

Then one blustery winter day, Biko ran outside as usual to go find his friend the rabbit and chase him around the yard. And find him he did. But the poor bunny wasn't frolicking around the yard. No, he was lying in the snow, deader than a doorknob. And it was so sad to watch Biko as he tried to play with the bunny anyway. He prodded it with his nose and ended up flipping it in the air.

Now, it just so happens that we (Natche and I) saw this unfold and of course, we completely FREAKED OUT. I mean, neither of us wants our dog playing with a dead bunny; but to be honest we were more concerned that Biko'd realize that his recently-departed friend was actually a snack-in-the-waiting.

So Natche ran downstairs, grabbed the shovel and trudged outside in the knee-high snow. I like to think he said a little prayer before he scooped up the poor little bunny and flipped him over the fence into the woods.

The bunny flipping didn't go over too well. Poor Biko was beside himself. For weeks after the event, he'd look longingly outside hoping his friend the bunny would appear. But he never did.

Until this spring. And , this isn't a story straight out of Pet Semetary (or at least I hope not). Another bunny has graced us with its presence and brought an incredible amount of joy to our large puppy.

Let's just hope this friend is a bit heartier.

No comments: