Thursday, March 01, 2007

It's in the neighbor's yard.

My mom likes to remind me now and again that when I was little I slept through a tornado that literally picked up my swingset and slammed it into a neighbor's yard. I don't like to think about it too much.

Growing up in Texas, you tend to learn about tornado safety pretty early on. They are, unfortunately, a fact of life in many states. I remember very clearly the duck and cover drills in the hall at school. And I remember the duck and cover not-drills-but-the-real-thing-and-oh-my-goodness-that-loud-whistling-sounds-like-a-freight-train-um-is-that-a-tornado?

But it still gives me pause when I read stories about people - children - hurt or killed by tornadoes. And it bothers me deeply. And while I am so grateful I don't live in tornado alley, I must admit some sort of weird fascination with twisters. I mean, show me a Storm Stories that features a tornado and I'm all over it. The movie, Twister? Own it. News stories about tornadoes? All over them. I'm telling you, it's bizarre this obsession.

Maybe I should consider a second career as a meteorologist.

No comments: