Did you get the Brewed Coffee Card in your USA Today yesterday morning? I did and I was so excited. I mean, you get a free Tall Pike Place Roast every Wednesday until May 28th when you visit your participating Starbucks retailer. Important note - participating retailer. I think you can guess where this is going.
I've been working hard and late here and desperately needed a cup of coffee in between sessions, so I went upstairs to the Starbucks in the hotel and waited in line for five minutes just so I could get my free coffee. I was so excited. I *Love* coffee and have an affinity for Starbucks.
Starbucks lady: I'm sorry, we don't take that (referring to the Brewed Coffee Card).
Me (looking up and around): But, this is a Starbucks, yes?
Starbucks lady: Yes, but we're licensed. You can go to the one across the street, if you want.
Me: But I just want my coffee. And I don't have any cash on me, just my card.
Starbucks lady: I'm sorry.
Me: Ok. Thanks. Bye.
Starbucks - listen up. This is *not* the experience you want your customers to have. I'm at the Forrester Marketing Forum and we're talking at length about designing for the user experience. This? Not the way to do it. I'm not sure how you bring franchisees into the fold and I really don't care. Design for me, please. I have an affinity for your brand and unfortunately, it's slightly tarnished now.
A Starbucks is a Starbucks is a Starbucks. And I want my free coffee. Now. Thankyouverymuch.
1 comment:
I had a similar experience with a Starbucks in a Barnes & Noble (they'll take my B&N card for a discount, but not a Starbuck's card) and also at a Mobile station - I could pay at the pump with a wave of my speedpass but they wouldn't let me use my speedpass inside because they aren't *really* a Mobile station. Huh? Sorry to hear. Keep up the great tweets (twitter friend @myjezi).
Post a Comment