Saturday, April 12, 2008

Zappos

If you don't have a Twitter account or aren't sure what it is (hint: micro-blogging), visit www.twitter.com and sign-up today. And, if you don't follow @zappos on Twitter yet, you should because this online shoe retailer has embraced the medium more than any other company out there (sorry Jet Blue).

All Twitter posts (called Tweets) are written by the CEO himself, Tony Hsieh, who is doing some very interesting things to engage his followers:

Yesterday, Tony held a contest in which he gave away a FREE pair of shoes to an @zappos follower and ten of his/her friends. @rotkapchen won the prize (despite my direct pleas). Today, Tony upped the anty by offering two round-trip tickets to Vegas plus two-nights' stay, a tour of the Zappos office and lunch with him. How cool is that?

So what can companies learn from Tony? Social media outlets like Twitter are yet another way companies can connect with customers. The fact that I know Tony is currently at a wedding eating corn nuts is insane, but in a weird way gives me a better sense of the Zappos culture and makes me want to engage more.

After spending four days at the Forrester Marketing Forum, I am pleased to see some companies embracing and really leveraging social media. We'll see if Tony continues to Tweet - I mean, after all, he *does* have a company to run - but if he does, I'll be following.

No comments: