So you know, I've been offered another Veep Marketing position at a much smaller company. But I'll be running the show, something I coudn't do in my current position given the sheer size of the organization. This opportunity allows me to take the next logical step in my career.
In the meantime, I want to reflect on what it feels like to be a short-timer. It's unusual; once you give your notice you become George Bush and people treat you differently...like you don't count as much. Maybe I don't.
Overall though, it's been an interesting couple of weeks. Some observations:
- The initial swarm. I received a number of emails, phone calls and drop-ins from folks sad to see me go. It was touching. I guess when you stay at one place for 5.5 years, you're bound to make a few friends. But even folks I barely knew reached out. One person told me he was "crying on the inside, but happy for me". Another just sent me a message with the subject line, "bummer".
- Acceptance. Folks are in the acceptance phase right now. I've been asked to finish up a few projects, which I will do gladly, but for the most part, my team is trying to do business as usual and figure out how to work without me. My last day is next Wednesday so I certainly won't start anything new and my team is already reporting to someone else. So yes, I am working and yes, I am productive...but just not as much as before.
- Departure. My exit interview is next Wednesday and I fully expect to wrap up most of my work by Monday afternoon/Tuesday morning. And then what? I don't start in my new position until the 5th, so what do I do? Go to the mall? Sunbathe? Have the children play hooky? Sit at home and do a Deadliest Catch marathon? I.have.no.clue.
Anyhoo, I'll update you all on my whereabouts once I start my new job. Until then, please feel free to reach out. For some reason, I have so much more free time...
2 comments:
Hey Michelle,
I found a similar experience when I left my old firm in late 2006. One thing I found fascinating about making career moves - many people will genuinely be happy for you and wish you well, but it's natural for people to think about themselves in the same situation. I had lots of people, many whom I wouldn't suspect, reach out and talk about how they are thinking about doing something similar. Some sought advice, others took time to become introspective about their careers.
Congrats again on the move and I look forward to watching you dive into your new role.
One word: SLEEP.
Post a Comment